Thomas is a dairy and beef farmer from Stradone Co Cavan. He has been a member of the IFA Environment Committee since 2011 and Vice Chairman since 2013. He previously served as Chairman of the Laragh branch in Cavan.
Thomas is married to Olivia and they have two daughters.
Executive IFA Environment & Rural Affairs Committee
- Thomas Ryan
- 01 4260343
Thomas Ryan is the Environment and Infrastructure Executive with the Irish Farmers’ Association. He is a graduate of University College Dublin, Dublin Institute of Technology and the Irish Management Institute. He holds degrees in Agricultural Science and Property Studies and a diploma in Business Management. He previously worked with Kerry Group plc and currently represents IFA on two recycling organisations IFFPG and Farm Plastic Recycling Ltd. He is an associate member of the Society of Chartered Surveyors of Ireland and a member of the Agricultural Science Association and Irish Environmental Law Association. He is also the Programme Manager of the on-farm voluntary cost saving initiative, Smart Farming.
The roles of the Environment & Rural Affairs Committee include:
- Removing unnecessary and excessive bureaucracy which is being imposed on farmers.
- Creating a greater understanding that farmers in recent years have spent over €2.5bn ensuring that their farms conform to the highest environmental standards and have the most emission efficient food production system in Europe.
Other important issues are:
- Ensuring proposed climate legislation does not hinder the development of the sustainable agri-food sector.
- Securing changes to existing hedge cutting dates.
- On-going support of farm families impacted by infrastructure projects.
- Opposing unjustifiable changes being imposed on rural dwellers.
- Seeking a more practical solution to the on-going farming by date and slurry spreading difficulties.
- Continuing to identify on-farm cost savings through the voluntary Smart Farming initiative.
Environment & Rural Affairs Committee 2015
|ROLE & COUNTY||NAME||MOB. NO.|
|CHAIRMAN||Thomas Cooney||087 2903 811|
|V’ CHAIRMAN||Eleanor Kiely||086 8291321|
|CARLOW||George Hatton||087 2527 285|
|CAVAN||Paddy Denning||087 2576441|
|CLARE||Joe O’Connell||087 2555 609|
|CORK (C)||Anne Keohane||087 2756 022|
|CORK (N)||Tony Mullins||086 8186336|
|CORK (W)||Chris Hayes||086 2497042|
|DONEGAL||Francis Burns||086 3627146|
|DUBLIN||Seamus McGrath||086 8404610|
|GALWAY||Bertie Roche||086 6377 955|
|KERRY||John O’Sullivan||087 9940890|
|KILDARE||Tom Malone||087 2624 836|
|KILKENNY||Paul O’Brien||086 8859277|
|LAOIS||Owen Conroy||086 3470182|
|LEITRIM||Eddie Mitchell||087 2239973|
|LIMERICK||Simon White||087 2726 952|
|LONGFORD||Damien O’Reilly||086 8042 380|
|LOUTH||Michael Smyth||087 6812586|
|MAYO||Tom Fitzpatrick||087 6737 425|
|MEATH||Peter Farrelly||087 2602656|
|MONAGHAN||Kathleen Ward||086 2726 047|
|OFFALY||Joe Deverell||087 2702 271|
|ROSCOMMON||Ned O’Connor||086 2441024|
|SLIGO||Padraig Mulligan||087 9910879|
|TIPP. NTH||Eamonn Cleary||087 245 0192|
|TIPP. STH||Peter Farrell||087 2324033|
|WATERFORD||Eleanor Kiely||086 8291321|
|WESTMEATH||Adrian Elliott||086 8196414|
|WEXFORD||James Brennan||087 8139819|
|WICKLOW||Michael Byrne||087 2581 824|
|Co-opt||Harold Kingston||086 2210021|