19 Oct 2016
AGENDA EUROPEAN COUNCIL 20-21 OCTOBERBrussels Daily
European Council, 20-21/10/2016
Agenda highlights below
- Background Brief
- Annotated draft agenda, European Council, 20-21 October 2016
The European Council will discuss the latest developments and progress on its comprehensive approach and set out the necessary orientations.
The debate will focus on:
- protecting the external borders
- tackling migratory flows along the Central Mediterranean route
- maintaining and tightening control of the Eastern Mediterranean route
Leaders will exchange views on trade issues. They will look at the key files and focus on the future of the EU’s trade policy.
In particular, they will:
- reiterate the EU’s commitment to a trade policy benefitting from open markets and heeding citizens’ concerns
- assess the state of play of on-going free trade agreement negotiations with key partners
- discuss the modernisation of Trade Defence Instruments, which aim to tackle unfair trade practices
The European Council will hold a policy debate on relations with Russia.