John Coughlan is a dairy, beef and tillage farmer from Buttevant Co Cork. Alongside his wife Ann, and children Michael and Helena, John milks 100 cows, finishes over 100 cattle, and grows cereals.
John is an active campaigner for farmers and IFA members for 25 years. He was elected chair of the IFA’s Munster region in 2016, is previous chair of North Cork IFA, and represented farmers on national Livestock and Environment committees.
An experienced negotiator, John has a local, national and European track record of delivering results for farmers, including:
- a 33% reduction in anti-dumping duties on ammonium fertilisers resulting in a saving of €20million/year for farmers.
- the €100million aid scheme for beef emergency aid measure (BEAM) payments;
- a 26% increase to €68.50/linear metre in compensation for farmers affected by gas infrastructure developments;
- restoration of payments for farmers impacted by motorway developments
John wants to use his experience and energy to lead a farmer focussed IFA which:
- restores farm incomes;
- delivers family focussed CAP reforms;
- secures a fair share for farmers from ring-fenced green funding; and
- prioritises the welfare of all farm families.