13 Dec 2014
NEW EU FOOD LABELLING RULES FROM TODAY 13 DECEMBERBrussels Daily
The new EU Regulation 1169/2011 on the provision of food information to consumers changes existing legislation on food labelling including:
- Mandatory nutrition information on processed foods;
- Mandatory origin labelling of unprocessed meat from pigs, sheep, goats and poultry;
- Highlighting allergens e.g. peanuts or milk in the list of ingredients;
- Better legibility i.e. minimum size of text;
- Requirements on information on allergens also cover non pre-packed foods including those sold in restaurants and cafés.
- Infographic explaining new food labelling rules
- Press release, 11 December 2014
- Annex to press release, 11 December 2014
Questions and Answers on the application of the Regulation (EU) N° 1169/2011 on the provision of food information to consumers
The new rules will apply from 13 December 2014. The obligation to provide nutrition information will apply from 13 December 2016.
The new law combines 2 Directives into one legislation:
- 2000/13/EC – labelling, presentation and advertising of foodstuffs;
- 90/496/EEC – nutrition labelling for foodstuffs.
Public Consultation on Guidelines relating to the provision of information on substances or products causing allergies or intolerances as listed in Annex II of Regulation (EU) No 1169/2011 on the provision of food information to consumers. Please click here for more information. The last date for making a contribution is 04 January 2015.