Main results (results in full here)
Ministers exchanged views on the Commission’s communication on the future of the Common Agricultural Policy (CAP). During the debate, a large number of member states expressed their support for Presidency conclusions on the communication. These conclusions are intended to make a positive contribution to the debate that will lead to the drafting of legislative proposals on the future CAP.
The main message from today’s debate is strong and clear: we want a future Common Agricultural Policy that is forward-looking, effective and fair. A CAP that gives tangible benefits to all EU farmers and citizens.
- Press release of the Bulgarian presidency
- Future of the CAP post 2020 (background information)
- The Future of Food and Farming
Multi-annual plan for demersal stocks in the western Mediterranean Sea
The Commission presented to the Council its proposal for a multi-annual plan for demersal stocks in the western Mediterranean Sea. The proposal introduces management measures for six demersal stocks, with the aim of helping their recovery and ensuring their sustainable exploitation in the future.
- Proposal for Regulation multiannual plan for demersal stocks in Western Mediterranean Sea
- Annexes to Proposal for Regulation multiannual plan for demersal stocks in Western Mediterranean Sea
Other topics on the agenda
Ministers were also informed about:
- the joint declaration of Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Poland on the Commission Communication on “The Future of Food and Farming”
- the state of ratification and transposition of international instruments concerning working conditions and safety on board fishing vessels
- the joint declaration of ten member states on the development of freshwater aquaculture in the EU after 2020