Join us for our IFA stakeholder panel discussions with dairy farmers on a key area of sustainability.
Key Topics Include
No sustainability without profitability
- Management of dairy calves
- Improving calf to beef value
- Milk price outlook
- ICOS Marts
- Local co-ops
Topics in Detail
How can farmers be supported in taking their full responsibility to manage their dairy calves?
- Raising awareness of the importance of the issue to the sustainability of the Irish dairy sector;
- Prioritising quality AI and stock bull use;
- Training in best practice in calf management and feeding;
- Supporting farm infrastructure and training;
- Phasing out last resort recourse to early calf slaughter;
How can other stakeholders contribute?
- Adding beef value to dairy calves (DBI, etc.);
- Providing trading platform for calves, building trust between buyers and sellers;
- Optimising female calf output – research, develop and promote sexed semen in the Irish context, with Irish lab;
- Developing dairy calf to beef templates, including contract rearing;
- Securing the calf export outlet;
- Exploring every possible outlet including veal;
- Messaging to farmers by all stakeholders to protect sector’s international reputation.
Milk price outlook for year end and spring 2020.
Dates & Venues
|Date & Time||Venue|
|Tuesday, 22nd October, 11am – 1.30pm||Kilmore Hotel, Cavan|
|Wednesday, 23rd October, 11am – 1.30pm||Rochestown Park Hotel, Cork|
|Tuesday, 29th October, 11am – 1.30pm||Newpark Hotel, Kilkenny|
|Wednesday, 30th October, 11am – 1.30pm||McWilliam Park Hotel, Claremorris|