09 Oct 2017
LOCALISED SLURRY SPREADING FLEXIBILITYEnvironment & Rural Affairs
Farmers who cannot spread slurry ahead of the October 15th deadline due to heavy rainfall in parts of the country may apply to avail of flexibility.
Affected farmers are advised to contact the Nitrates Section of the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine at 053.9163444 or by emailing email@example.com with details of the flooding / trafficability situation, their herd number and other relevant data.
Such contact should be made by Saturday 14 October at the latest.
Farmers wishing to avail of such flexibility will be advised:
- To spread only that volume of slurry necessary to ensure adequate storage capacity for the remainder of the closed period
- That any spreading should occur as soon as good spreading conditions exist
- That they will be prioritised for inspection by Local Authorities in the immediate future to ensure compliance with the Nitrates Regulations
- That assessment of overall on-farm storage capacity may be part of that inspection process
- That the Nitrates Section DAFM will subsequently contact the farmers to ascertain and record the date(s) on which this additional spreading takes place.
Local Authority inspection reports will be returned to the Department of Housing, Planning and Local Government and shared with the Department of Agriculture and those farms needing to avail of this flexibility will become a priority category for inspections in future years also.
Farm safety reminder
Both Departments stress the importance of farmers ensuring that safety is their number one priority as toxic gases are released when slurry is agitated and one breath at this time can cause instant death. All of those working with slurry should be aware of the dangers involved and make sure they work safely at all times.