Applications Open for 2017 Nitrates Derogation
Applications for the 2017 Nitrates Derogation can now be submitted online. The closing date for applications is 31st March 2017.
The Nitrates Derogation provides farmers an opportunity to farm at higher stocking rates, subject to certain conditions designed to protect the environment and meet the requirements of the Nitrates Directive.
End of year Nitrogen and Phosphorus statements (N&P statements) for 2016 are available on the Department’s online system www.agfood.ie. Farmers who exceeded the limits in 2016 based on their cattle numbers will be advised in writing of this shortly but these figures will not have taken into consideration any documentation submitted to the Department by 31st December 2016. Text messages issued to those farmers who were approaching the limits in 2016 and receipt of such a text should act as a reminder to those farmers to consider applying for a Nitrates Derogation this year.
The Nitrates Derogation allows farmers to exceed the limit of 170 kg of livestock manure nitrogen per hectare set down in the Nitrates Regulations, up to a maximum of 250 kg per hectare, subject to adherence to stricter rules. For a Nitrates Derogation application to be valid, all terms and conditions of the Derogation must be adhered to, including the following:
- An annual application must be made online to the Department. No postal applications will be accepted.
- Farming a holding that is at least 80% grass. Have grazing livestock – derogation is only available in respect of grazing livestock.
- Have a Fertilisation Plan in place on the holding by 1st March. This plan should be submitted to the Department along with the application form unless the farmer has submitted a fertiliser plan to the Department in 2014, 2015 or 2016.
- Fertiliser plans must be based on soil analysis results dated after 15th September 2013.
- Applicants who have never previously applied for a derogation, or last applied in 2012 or earlier, and do not have soil analysis results must assume Index 3 for 2017 but soil sample analysis, in respect of crop year 2018, must be available and the fertiliser plan amended accordingly and submitted online to the Department before 31st March 2018.
- Fertiliser accounts must be submitted to the Department no later than 31st March of the following year.
- Farmers in derogation cannot import livestock manure