14 Dec 2017
BOORMALT MALTING BARLEY PACKAGE INCLUDES SIGNIFICANT NEW MEASURESGrain
IFA Deputy President Richard Kennedy has said the malting barley package negotiated with Boortmalt for next year is positive and includes significant new measures.
- An initial fixed price offer of €167.50/t (exclusive of VAT) for contract green brewing malting barley.
- A much-reduced seed price of €520/t (delivered) for all varieties.
- Free haulage ex-yard for growers’ grain (delivered via lorry), where branch were closed in recent years.
- Retention of the current split of brewing/distilling contract per grower “as is” with the potential for additional contracts to be awarded to all growers for Crop 2018
- That all barley purchased by Boortmalt for crop 2018 will be under contract.
Mr Kennedy said, “It is critically important to get a price out ahead of the planting season so that growers can plan their cropping programme accordingly. The fixed-price offer is currently ahead of that offered for new crop dried feeding barley for harvest 2018 collection”.
“The delivered farm seed price of €520/t across all varieties is significantly reduced on last season and is interest free until harvest. A free lorry collection service will be provided by the company to growers where branches were closed in recent years and where growers purchase, from Boortmalt, plant protection products to the value of €50/acre or greater (excl. vat) during the season.”
This collection service will be available to growers who historically delivered grain to intake depots in Emo, Stradbally, Portlaoise, Monasterevin, Carlow and Bagenalstown.
“All of the above are very positive improvements for all our malting barley growers and I would like to acknowledge the proactive part that the Boortmalt team played in making this possible.”