Glas Closing Date Extended to December 14

IFA Rural Development Chairman Flor McCarthy has confirmed that the closing for GLAS will be extended from to December 14. 

At a meeting with the Department of Agriculture this week, IFA made a strong case that more time was needed, given the practical issues that have arisen since the scheme was opened over a month ago.

Flor McCarthy said that applications for the scheme are likely to be high and IFA will be insisting that all farmers who apply are allowed into the scheme. In the Budget, Minister Coveney promised that 13,000 would be brought into the scheme. If this is exceeded IFA will be demanding that all are eligible.

With 24,000 farmers having already been accepted into the first phase of GLAS, IFA pointed out to the Department that it was now essential that the remaining 2,000 cases are accepted without any further delay. These cases are being held as verification of Low Input Permanent Pasture is being undertaken.

The IFA Rural Development Chairman said that first phase GLAS payments of 85% for 3 months, worth €20m, will be paid out before Christmas. The remaining 15% payment will be made in the first quarter of 2016. AEOS and outstanding REPS payments have commenced.

Related Articles