Machinery, tractors and farm vehicles accounted for almost half of farm fatalities between 2007 and 2016. Have a look at some advice to stay safe when working with heavy machinery.
- Plan and prepare for all work with machinery. Always allow adequate time for the job.
- Always practice the SAFE STOP procedure. Reverse park safely, handbrake on, controls in neutral, lower all attachments, engine off
and remove keys!
- Carry out regular checks and maintenance of all farm vehicles, particularly brakes.
- Never remove or modify guards in order to save time.
- Only use machines if you know how to use them safely and have received suitable training.
- Always drive at a safe speed and know your limits.