Announcing IFA’s upcoming Regional Farm Succession & Inheritance Meetings, IFA National Farm Family & Social Affairs Chair Alice Doyle said is it very important to start thinking about a succession plan for your family farm as early as possible.
“Setting out a succession plan can be a long and emotive process, and it is important to start to plan as early as possible. By proactively planning, for succession and inheritance, you can avoid potential stress, relating to and the uncertainty around, the future of the farm,” Alice Doyle said.
IFA have organised Regional Farm Succession and Inheritance meetings that will take place on:
|South Leinster||Tue 18th April||Woodford Dolmen, Co Carlow (R93 N207)||8pm|
|Munster||Thu 20th April||Firgrove Hotel, Mitchelstown, Co Cork (P67 Y206)||8pm|
|Ulster/ North Leinster||Wed 3rd May||Ardboyne Hotel, Navan, Co Meath (C15 C9YA)||8pm|
|Connacht||Thu 4th May||Abbey Hotel, Co Roscommon (F42 F992)||8pm|
Guest speakers on the night will include:
• Clare O’Keeffe – Succession Ireland
• Gordan Peppard – Teagasc
• Martin Clarke – IFAC
• Aisling Meehan – Agri Solicitor
IFA National Farm Business Chair Rose Mary McDonagh said the purpose of these events is to help farm families familiarise themselves with some of the complex issues that can arise while developing a farm succession plan.
“It is essential for every farmer to have a farm succession plan in place. There are complex legal and taxation rules that, if planned for, can be managed easily. If not planned for, however, there could be a major impact on the viability of the farm business,” Rose Mary McDonagh said.
Alice Doyle and Rose Mary McDonagh advised that these events will:
• Explore the emotions involved in succession and inheritance.
• Inform you of the options available to help transfer the Management andOwnership of your farm.
• Identify the main issues and facts on succession and inheritance.
• Highlight some of the main areas that you may need to get professional advice and guidance on.
• Encourage you to begin putting a plan in place on succession and inheritance.