Brendan Golden is suckler beef farmer from Killala Co Mayo, finishing mainly steer and young bull beef. He also sells some finished cows and heifer weanlings. He farms 70 suckler cows on 80 ha of owned and rented land alongside his wife Ann and three sons.
The Chairman said the challenges in the beef and livestock sector are immense. He said never was it more important for Irish beef farmers to adopt the principles of Unity, Strength and Delivery to improve the income situation of farmers on the ground.
Brendan Golden’s key priorities for beef and livestock farmers include;
- An immediate lift in cattle prices to restore viability and increase farm incomes
- Restoring and maintaining strong direct payments in CAP 2020 and through Farm Schemes.
- Protecting the beef sector against Brexit and other trade deals.
- Defending EU production standards and grass-based systems on environmental, food safety and traceability grounds.
- Maximising market access for beef and live exports.
- Supporting and maintaining the national suckler cow herd.
Tomas Bourke is the Irish Farmers’ Association Livestock and Animal Health Executive. He sits on the copa-cogeca Animal Health and Welfare working party in Brussels. He is also a member of the AHI Implementation groups for both BVD and johnes disease.
About the Livestock Committee
- The National Livestock Committee fully represents the interests of the country’s 100,000 livestock farmers on all issues affecting members incomes and livelihoods.
- Representing the largest number of farmers nationwide, the IFA National Livestock Committee comprises of 29 democratically elected members from each of the IFA’s County Executives.
- The Committee undertakes this work at local, national, European and international level constantly analysing complex problems and issues, and proposing policies and solutions geared at meeting the interests of farmers.
- The work of the Committee is very wide ranging from high level contacts at European level in meetings with Agricultural or Trade Commissioners on policy issues.
National Livestock Committee
|ROLE & COUNTY||NAME||MOBILE NO.|
|CORK (W)||Padraig O’Driscoll||086-2441900|
|CORK (N)||Kevin O’Flynn||086-8250493|
|CORK (C)||Ivor Jeffery||087-6534573|
|LOUTH||Peter McEneaney Jnr||087-2793544|
|TIPP. NTH||Joseph O’Dwyer||087-7991439|
|TIPP. STH||Edmond Burns||087-0524468|