Brendan Golden is suckler beef farmer from Killala Co Mayo, finishing mainly steer and young bull beef. He also sells some finished cows and heifer weanlings. He farms 70 suckler cows on 80 ha of owned and rented land alongside his wife Ann and three sons.
The Chairman said the challenges in the beef and livestock sector are immense. He said never was it more important for Irish beef farmers to adopt the principles of Unity, Strength and Delivery to improve the income situation of farmers on the ground.
Brendan Golden’s key priorities for beef and livestock farmers include;
- An immediate lift in cattle prices to restore viability and increase farm incomes
- Restoring and maintaining strong direct payments in CAP 2020 and through Farm Schemes.
- Protecting the beef sector against Brexit and other trade deals.
- Defending EU production standards and grass-based systems on environmental, food safety and traceability grounds.
- Maximising market access for beef and live exports.
- Supporting and maintaining the national suckler cow herd.
Tomas Bourke is the Irish Farmers’ Association Livestock and Animal Health Executive. He sits on the copa-cogeca Animal Health and Welfare working party in Brussels. He is also a member of the AHI Implementation groups for both BVD and johnes disease.
About the Livestock Committee
- The National Livestock Committee fully represents the interests of the country’s 100,000 livestock farmers on all issues affecting members incomes and livelihoods.
- Representing the largest number of farmers nationwide, the IFA National Livestock Committee comprises of 29 democratically elected members from each of the IFA’s County Executives.
- The Committee undertakes this work at local, national, European and international level constantly analysing complex problems and issues, and proposing policies and solutions geared at meeting the interests of farmers.
- The work of the Committee is very wide ranging from high level contacts at European level in meetings with Agricultural or Trade Commissioners on policy issues.
National Livestock Committee
|ROLE & COUNTY||NAME||MOBILE NO.|
|CHAIRMAN:||Brendan Golden||086 6017573|
|VICE-CHAIRMAN||Declan Hanrahan||087 9479971|
|CARLOW||George Hatton||087 2527285|
|CAVAN||Thomas Leonard||086 3350165|
|CLARE||Joseph O’Connell||087 2555609|
|CORK (W)||Padraig O’Driscoll||086 2441900|
|CORK (N)||Kevin O’Flynn||086 8250493|
|CORK (C)||Ivor Jeffery||087 6534573|
|DONEGAL||Neville Myles||086 1555599|
|DUBLIN||Derek McGrath||087 9598394|
|GALWAY||Michael Haverty||086 3512346|
|KERRY||Kieran O’Shea||086 8219411|
|KILDARE||Paul McDonald||086 8221529|
|KILKENNY||Tomas Mulhall||086 4008147|
|LAOIS||Declan Hanrahan||087 9479971|
|LEITRIM||John Winters||086 6016038|
|LIMERICK||Denis Duggan||086 8652424|
|LONGFORD||Paul Molihan||085 7600206|
|LOUTH||Edward O’Malley||086 8336946|
|MAYO||TJ Duffy||087 2155118|
|MEATH||Eamonn Meade||086 8346017|
|MONAGHAN||Michael Flood||086 3344824|
|OFFALY||Thomas Woulfe||087 9962492|
|SLIGO||Trevor Boland||087 9983271|
|TIPP. NTH||Joseph O’Dwyer||087 7991439|
|TIPP. STH||Edmond Burns||087 0524468|
|WATERFORD||Padraig Daly||087 3171738|
|WESTMEATH||Chris Dolan||085 8775179|
|WEXFORD||James Kehoe||087 2791109|
|WICKLOW||Sean Cooney||086 8362327|