Angus farms full-time with his family at Rathnew, County Wicklow. His is a mixed enterprise farm with beef, suckler cows, sheep and barley.
He is Chairman of the IFA’s National Livestock Committee, elected in 2016.
As Chairman, Angus works tirelessly at home and internationally to defend the interests of Irish farmers. Delivery on critical issues includes:
- €100 million BEAM scheme
- €40 million of additional money for a Suckler Cow Support Scheme
- Substantial increase in live exports, including exports to Turkey
- Significant reduction in Department levy on calf exports
- Naming and shaming of factories engaged in illegal trimming
- Introduction of a ‘close out’ model for on-farm Quality Assurance inspections
- Commissioning of a study into the importance of suckler cows to the Irish economy
- Defending competition in beef markets including challenging the takeover of Slaney Meats by ABP, in Dublin and in Brussels.
He holds a number of EU positions including President of the Commission’s Civil Dialogue Group on Animal Products and Vice-Chairman of the COPA Beef Group. He is member of the EU Meat Markets Observatory Group.
Angus values team work and endurance, and knows how to pull hard! He has represented Ireland with distinction as a rower in World Championships.